Burgundy or bordeaux, wine red or rust, merlot or maroon, oxblood or firebrick - there are countless variations on this rich deep red shade that has cast a captivating spell on the fashion world. What began on the Fall 2012 runways of top designers Diane von Furstenberg, DKNY, Alexander Wang and Gucci has trickled over into Hollywood and chain stores around the rest of the world. So fasten your seat belts, this red hot trend is raging ahead, with no signs of slowing down.
With so many unique takes on the burgundy dress, there is a style to fit any taste. Haider Akermann showed off chunky wrapped knits, L'Wren Scott brought in the element of velvet deluxe and Isabel Marant kept it cowgirl. Minimilism and oversized was seen at Chloe & Roksanda Ilincic, while Nanette Lepore and Nina Ricci feminized the look with ruffles & lace.
Diane von Furstenburg added her signature wrapped effect to the trend, Herve Leger and Bottega Veneta went strong shouldered and leather bound. Simplicity reigned at Alexander Wang and Christian Siriano, and DKNY focused on cozy textures. Peter Som played the peplum card, Gucci brought in the glamour, while Versus & J Mendel stayed youthful & sexy.
Celebrity Burgundy Style
Emmy Rossum wears a simply sweet street style version of the maroon dress.
Malin Akerman added structure in an Alexx Jae and Milk dress, with black Prada heels.
Emily Blunt contoured the look in a fitted Roland Mouret 'Galaxy' dress.
Emmanuelle Chriqui interpreted the burgundy trend with a chic leather dress.
Krysten Ritter warms it up in a Robert Rodriguez coat dress with wide black belt.
Emma Watson tried on an edgier aubergine Cushnie Et Ochs cut-out dress.
Olga Kurylenko kept it ladylike in a Nina Ricci burgundy lace dress.
Blake Lively glimmers in a sequined merlot Gucci dress.
Alexa Chung adds her spin to the trend in a leather Versus skirt with knitted polo neck top.
Diane Kruger opted for a strappy lace-up Versus tennis dress with pleated skirt.
Elettra Wiedemann adds some colourfully fun styling to her wine draped Rachel Roy dress.
Get With The Trend
A colour that looks good on anyone, there are so many affordable and engaging options out now in stores, which makes this trend an easily accessible one.
1. Fitted dress with pleated detailing and asymmetrical neckline. $59 Dorothy Perkins
2. Sangria shaded skater lace dress with box pleats and mid-length sleeves. $84.43 Asos
3. Te Amo cut-out peplum dress with collar £24.99 from Newlook.com
4. The ideal holiday party harness embellished dress £56 from Houseoffraser.co.uk
5. Short sleeved maroon dress with beaded collar by H&M £29.99
6. Get Blake Lively's look with this bordeaux sequin peplum dress $130 Topshop US
7. A more classic style puff sleeve sheath dress $79.90 by Zara
8. A vintage inspired frock with pretty frilled lace sleeves. £30 Awear.com
Have you found your perfect little burgundy dress yet?