Home » » My Official Resignation

My Official Resignation

Today, I, Sam (of sound mind and judgement) would like to Officially Hand in my Resignation as An Adult. I have decided to accept the responsibilities of an eight-year-old again! 






I want to go down to Pizza Hut and think it’s a five-star restaurant. I want to think that M & M's are better than money because you can eat them. I want to wear my sparkly pink jelly shoes and think its the height of fashion. I want to have a whole slab of Cadbury's chocolate without feeling guilty afterwards. Remember when we could eat as much ice cream and french fries as our stomachs could bear, without even knowing what a calorie was? The only bad thing that could come out of eating an entire box of cookies and a slushie was a sugar rush. We had no care or concern about where on our hips the hidden saturated fats went to.



I want to return to when all you knew were colours, multiplication, time tables and ABC's. When nursery rhymes were as simple as Jack & Jill and I hadn't a clue about who John Keats was. A bedtime story meant diving into a fairytale world where anything you imagined was real. Dragons, wizards, queens, fairy-god mothers, mirrors on the wall, a glass slipper and of course, the certainty that we will always get our Prince Charming in the end. I found that real life doesn't work out exactly that way. The princes have all been turned into frogs and glass slippers are really uncomfortable to walk in! I want to be able to believe in magic again. That when I toss a coin in a magic fountain, my wish will come true. 




I want to go back to a time when things were simpler. When a jigsaw puzzle or a Barbie doll represented a whole week's worth of entertainment. When I didn't need a Smartphone, iPad, Xbox, Internet and Satellite TV to keep me busy – all at the same time. When the only time money mattered was in a game of Monopoly. When I thought that candy floss was a piece of a sugar dipped cloud. When you actually had an imagination. When magic really existed and it wasn't all just special effects created on a Hollywood set. 



I want to think the world is fair. That everyone is honest, and good will always triumph over evil. When boys were just some annoying class disturbance and not the objection of our affections. When friends were real and you didn't care about their race or religion or if they were fat, skinny, pink, green or from a whole other planet, it just didn't matter. When we believed that all adults must know everything (How wrong we were about that!). When numbers on a scale didn't matter, when ballet skirts and bobby socks were still cute, jewellery was made out of macaroni, and make-up meant cherry lip balm and nothing else. 



I want to believe that anything is possible....all you have to do is Dream. I want the complexities of life to be unknown to me. I want to be completely ecstatic by the little things again like the sound of the ice cream van and the thrill of going to the zoo. I DON'T want to know about work stress, deadlines, taxes, designer clothes, relationship drama, popularity or gossip! I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams and the goodness of human kind. 


So here are my car keys, makeup bag, credit cards, shopping bills, laptop and mobile phone... I am officially resigning from adulthood. 
I will now proceed to find my way back to the playground...




What do you miss most about your childhood?




*I was inspired to write and adapt this from a shorter version sent to me by email. I changed it to reflect my own childhood memories.

*All images found via weheartit.com



Share this article :

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2013. Fashion Naturally - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger